[squeak-dev] The Trunk: System-cmm.913.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 03:37:10 UTC 2016

Hi Tobias,

> Where's the problem with calling the image with 'patch.st' in the first place?

Per our other conversation in box-admins, I want to control the RFB
configuration from the Linux side.  Once the server image builds
itself and saved once, it is never saved again.

If we can't save the image, how to do a quick-patch?  In today's
SqueakSource, we RFB into the image, make the method changes, save the
image.  (Shudder).  After a week nobody remembers what the heck we're
running in production, and its not easy to see even when one gets
RFB'd into the image.

In this new SqueakSource server setup, the built image is never
resaved, so its validity could actually be easily confirmed with a
hashsum.

The image is never resaved, but could still suffer a daemontools
restart, in which case the patch must be reapplied automatically.
This is done by the administrator exporting the method changes as
patch.st, instead of saving the image.

> It looks a little bit out of place for me here.

It should be private.  I'll do that.

> Also, Why Kill MNU and Halt from the list?

MNU is covered by Error.  Halt because its sometimes necessary to use
it to diagnose and fix a production problem.

Best,
  Chris