[squeak-dev] EToys in the Trunk

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 09:40:19 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 9:41 AM, H. Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/1/16, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> > I suspect that like a lot of us I’m conflicted about having something
> large
> > like EToys included.
> >
> > In one sense it’s an important project that needs to be constantly kept
> up
> > to date and that is best done by having it always there so that anyone
> > refactoring code can’t help but find the EToys code that needs to be
> > updated. Of course, that’s the same argument one might make for Scratch,
>
> Maybe Scratch could be included  as well temporarily to benefit from
> the same refactoring treatment .......

Agreed.  Pharo experience shows how many packages get pout of date by not
being included in everyday development.  I think it would be nice if we can
have a build process where we have a fat trunk (seems appropriate) but
unload inessentials when prod ing the all-in-one.  I'd happily carry some
overhead doing trunk development provided unloading is easy and the
all-in-one development artefact is readily available.

--
best, Eliot