[squeak-dev] EToys in the Trunk

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Sep 4 13:34:55 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 11:28:06PM +0200, H. Hirzel wrote:

> On 8/31/16, Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > With the recent updates, we have the full EToys package in the Trunk,
> > which has more than 78k LoC. That's almost 1.5x what Morphic has, and
> > it's more than Kernel, System and Collections together.
> >
> > Do we want to keep it in the Trunk?
> >
> > Levente
> >

> Hello Levente
>
> I suggest yes, for the time being. Later on it should be made unload-able.
>
> --Hannes

I missed most of this discussion, but I would like to say that I think
that Hannes has it exactly right. The work can and should be done in trunk,
and it is important that the result should ultimately be unloadable and
reloadable.

The timing also seems right to me. The work is being done in trunk early
in the release cycle. This should provide the opportunity to achieve a
reloadable Etoys in time for a next Squeak release.

As long as the package is fully reloadable, the decision as to whether to
include Etoys in our next release can be made later, as part of the release
planning process. Near term, the trunk image will be larger, but if we
elect to unload Etoys for a next release then the resulting image should
be smaller than before.

I think it would be great if both Etoys and Scratch were easily loadable
and unloadable in trunk. Scratch is already being successfully developed
as an external package compatible with trunk, which suggests that we should
ultimately be able to do the same with Etoys. Others have mentioned that
we need better tools to support this, and I agree.

Dave