[squeak-dev] Multiple Images executing simultaneously

Andrew Coward landrewcoward at shaw.ca
Mon Sep 19 18:31:35 UTC 2016

I am using the all-in-one image to carry out neural network simulations with different parameters using a MacBook Pro 2 GHx Intel Core i7 with OSX 10.11.6. Each simulation can take up to 36 hours to complete.

I have found it is possible to have 7 or more different images all executing at the same time. Each image runs at the same speed as when only one image is running. Obviously a huge benefit.

This works in either Smalltalk 4.4 or 5.0.

Each image has a different name, and one oddity is that sometimes when opening an image I get the message “cannot find application”. However, changing the name of the image, for example by inserting spaces at the end, eventually gets to an image that will open (so far 1 to 4 spaces have always been sufficient).

Does anyone know if this ability to run multiple images is a “happy accident”  or an intended feature of Smalltalk that will be preserved in future releases of Smalltalk and OS ?