[squeak-dev] Multiple Images executing simultaneously

Peter Crowther peter at ozzard.org
Wed Sep 21 11:06:22 UTC 2016

Squeak is single-threaded, and I don't expect that to change as too much in
the image relies on it.  Therefore, assuming your simulation is CPU-bound
(pretty much a given for most neural network work), you should be able to
run about as many Squeak images as you have threads on your processor.
There are a few nuances to that - Intel hyperthreading causing contention
for parts of cores, CPU cache size and hence bandwidth to/from RAM, that
kind of thing - but it mostly works.

Incidentally, this behaviour isn't specific to Squeak or to a particular
version of MacOS, and it's not a happy accident.  Processor designers and
operating system developers have spent many years making sure this
happens.  The same thing would probably be true for any other
single-threaded CPU-limited code you wrote and ran, on any "modern" (last
20 years) OS.  So it's pretty safe to rely on it.

Cheers,

- Peter