[Vm-dev] Nuking VM ImageSegment support (was Re: [squeak-dev] Daily Commit Log; System-bf.916)

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 05:10:21 UTC 2016

On 23 September 2016 at 07:10, Vaidotas Didžbalis <vaidasd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> To save morph and restore it is a basic behavior which is broken since
> Squeak 4.5. This is a bug. Beginning from 4.5 new Squeak user will get a
> debugger window open in a few clicks. This bug happened as a side effect of
> pushing Environments package into the Squeak image beginning from Squeak
> 4.5. No one uses Environments; there are significant use for morph saving.
> Squeak needs this ability. Maybe it is easier to remove Environments from
> stock Image and to fix the bug introduced by that package.
> Introduction of new packages need not to break useful things...
> regards,
> Vaidotas

It was pretty difficult for Colin Putney to perform the heart surgery
necessary to get Environments into the image in the first place. The
capabilities that Environments enable are pretty dang awesome, and it's a
crying shame that people either don't see these capabilities (sandboxing,
trivial resolution of class name clashes are the START of things) or (more
likely) simply haven't had the time to build the _missing tooling support_
to make Environments work to their fullest.

I'm equally to blame here: I burned out a few years back, and have since
been too busy doing other stuff to work on Environments (or Squeak at all).

But it would be tragic if we performed the equally painful surgery to
remove Environments.

So instead of removing a super awesome half-implemented feature of Squeak,
why don't we, I don't know, _fix the bug_. Raise a bug report. Give a
patch. It will make Squeak better.

frank