[squeak-dev] Should a long running image notice daylight saving?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 03:44:29 UTC 2017

Hi Tim,

> On Apr 2, 2017, at 2:11 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>
> Another interesting aspect of timezone changes is what along running application should do, once we have the time corrected. Consider a graph of the last 7 days’ rainfall with an X axis labelled by the hour.  Should the labels be redrawn with the revised TZ? Or the old ones kept as-was and only new ones changed?  Does it make more sense to see
> 8:00 9:00 10:00 11:00 12:00 12:00 1:00
> ie with the change visible, rather than all the older data getting changed? I really can't decide, so if anyone knows of UI/perceptual psych work offering a good rationale I’d be interested.

 is this really complicated?

a) UTC is unaffected by timeline so there is a monotonically increasing clock
b) the difference in intent between
    Delay forSeconds:
and something like
    Delay until:
should be clear.  One is a duration, the other takes some time stamp.  The time stamp can convey the time zone or its absence and so the utc for the expiry should be determinable no?