[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Monticello-mva.667.mcz

Milan Vavra vavra_milan at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 7 19:13:40 UTC 2017

Chris Muller wrote:
> I haven't looked at it, but would like to ask if you've tested when
> you have multiple .mcd's in succession?  Like, if you have,
>
>     Kernel-cmm.100.mcz
>     Kernel-cmm.101.mcd
>     Kernel-cmm.102.mcd
>
> Does 102 need to have ancestry at least back to 101 (or, 100?) still
> stored?

Assuming we have
  Kernel-cmm.100.mcz
  Kernel-cmm.101(cmm.100).mcd
  Kernel-cmm.102(cmm.101).mcd
then yes, 102 needs to have ancestry going back to 101. But no further.
No need to go beyond 101. Ancestry from 101 onward can be trimmed.
So when writing
  Kernel-cmm.102(cmm.101).mcd
ancestry of Kernel-cmm.101 can be trimmed. In the file we are saving, not
in the system, that's why we need a #veryDeepCopy of the ancestry before
we trim it.

And when reading
  Kernel-cmm.102(cmm.101).mcd
ancestry of Kernel-cmm.101 can be re-attached so that Kernel-cmm.102's
version info looks the same as it did when we were writting the
Kernel-cmm.102(cmm.101).mcd before the trimming.

Best Regards,

Milan Vavra