[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Monticello-mva.667.mcz

Milan Vavra vavra_milan at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 7 20:38:54 UTC 2017

Chris Muller wrote:
> I haven't looked at it, but would like to ask if you've tested when
> you have multiple .mcd's in succession?  Like, if you have,

Yes I have tested multiple .mcd's in succession.

That is where this modification really shines.

The size of each successive mcd is only proportional to the amount of
changes it contains. One liners are just a few KB. Each time. No matter how
many versions came before them.

Especially with big packages with a lot of previous versions whose version
information would normally be saved in the 'version' file of the mcd
archives. Like the Kernel.

An mcz snapshot must include the complete version information.
An mcd is a different story.

The mcd files being what they are store only the code that has been changed
against its base version.

They store a patch.

A patch needs its base version to exist to be able to reconstruct the
snapshot it represents.

This modification just modifies the 'version' information to match that
behavior so that only version information that has been modified since its
base version is stored in an mcd file.

Best Regards,

Milan Vavra