[squeak-dev] PlotMorph package updates & Weather stations

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Apr 12 21:49:09 UTC 2017

I’ve just uploaded a new version of PlotMorph (MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/PlotMorph'
    user: ''
    password: ‘’) or http://www.squeaksource.com/PlotMorph/PlotMorph-tpr.39.mcz

This adds a new subclass, TimeDataPlotMorph, which uses Morphic stepping to have the too-old data (as determined by the plotDuration ivar) removed and the plot bounds updated. This has made nice scrolling plots of my weather station data. It certainly isn’t polished, let alone finished, so feel free to improve it.

There’s also a new release of ‘Weather station for Squeak’ (MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/WeatherStation'
    user: ''
    password: ‘’) or http://www.squeaksource.com/WeatherStation/WeatherStation-tpr.7.mcz

Generally the MQTT & weather station code is running extremely reliably; it’s running live in my development image as I add new stuff l(ike the BarometerMorph that is the result of a lot of donated time by Bob Arning). I haven’t had to change or restart the mqtt client in four or five weeks.

The BarometerMorph and its sort-of abstract parent RotaryDialMorph should someday be good enough to move to the main Morph category and provide nice roundy-roundy data displaying for all, for things like pressure, humidity, temperature, speed, rpms, time, sound levels, voltage and what have you.

A rotary indicator is a quite ‘interesting’ project that deserve more attention in my opinion. There are so many possible options for the displaying, the look of the dial(s), the indicator ‘needle’ and so on. I’d say you could make a pretty good thesis project out of simply characterising them, let alone implementing a good scheme for parameterising them for code.

tim
A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good.