[squeak-dev] PlotMorph package updates & Weather stations

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Apr 14 18:59:41 UTC 2017

> On 14-04-2017, at 11:05 AM, Bob Arning <arning315 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> I was thinking you might break the purely analog mode and add small indicators automatically noting recent values (maybe 1, 4 and 12 hours)

I’ve wondered about good ways of doing this for some time. One idea that keeps seeming like a nice trick is some sort of ‘fading needle shadow’. Imagine that the needle gently sprays the dial with a faint mist of color that fades over time. If the needle stays in the same place for a long time there would be a fairly saturated ’shadow’ built up. If it then moved the ’spray shadow’ would start to appear under the new location and the prior color would gradually fade away.

This would provide a fairly quickly comprehendible trace of recent conditions based on the hue saturation, I think. A wide sector of faint color would indicate that things had been moving around a lot; a fairly sharp line would indicate the converse. I imagine it could be implemented with a secondary ImageMorph overlaying the main dial morph and some combinations of blending and so on.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- ALOHA OY - Love; greetings; farewell; from such a pain you should never know