[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Monticello-mva.667.mcz

Milan Vavra vavra_milan at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 16 12:05:30 UTC 2017

Chris Cunningham wrote:
>Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>Milan Vavra wrote:
>>>
>>>An mcz snapshot must include the complete version information.
>>>An mcd is a different story.
>>>
>>>The mcd files being what they are store only the code that has been
changed
>>>against its base version.
>>
>>Awesome! I haven't tried it, but this sounds exactly how it should have
been from the
>>beginning. Thank you!
>>
>>I wonder what we should do about the MCDs auto-generated by the
source.squeak server.

>Does source.squeak server generate the MCD on each request, or does it
cache and/or save >the
>MCD's generated so it doesn't have to the next time?  The later seems
dangerous in this context.

There is a danger of reading an mcd without history restoration code in
place and so losing the history beyond base info at that moment.

This could be avoided, by replacing the pruned ancestors in the written out
'version' member of the mcd zip archive, with a string like

'To use this mcd you need Monticello with history restoration code'.

The history restoration code could be modified to look for this string and
to remove it so that the version info reading/restoring can continue as
before.

The current in-trunk mcd reading code (read any Monticello without history
restoration support) will choke on this and open a debugger.

When you poke around in the variables in the debugger, you will see the
string ('To use this mcd you need Monticello with history restoration
code') in the tokens instance variable at some level. This should get your
attentinon.

Even better, if you don't care about having only partial version info
history this time (just read that fine thing, thank you very much!), you
can replace the array
#('To use this mcd you need Monticello with history restoration code')
with an empty array
{}
in the debugger, Restart and Proceed and the version will be read in with
partial history.

Best Regards,

Milan Vavra