[squeak-dev] Setting default font breaks DefaultTextStyle font list

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Apr 22 17:51:29 UTC 2017

Whilst checking my RotaryDialMorphs stuff in an update to 17183 image I noticed that the labels looked awful. Turns out that the default TextStyle was broken to just one font and so trying to choose a size to suit my dials could only find a 9pt one. Given that this then gets scaled down as part of some anti-aliasing it looks terribly small at the end.

The question is of course why the text style was so limited. After investigation it seems that the latest version of Preferences class> setSystemFontTo: was changed on 8/30/2016 such that it fairly carefully makes a broken style instead of what the prior version did. Since the changes here were made by marcel & TimF as part of the themes upgrade I’m loath to simply override them and force it back. It may be mixed in with other stuff that I don’t know about, so I’d rather not break it.

As a temporary measure, reverting to Marcel’s 8/19/2016 version seems to be the solution.

A side-weirdness just to make life interesting was that the first time I changed the default find using the font chooser the screen background suddenly reverted to the dark gray linen pattern. I haven’t been able to spot a code path that could explain that and it doesn’t seem to happen now so… haunted image?

tim
Strange OpCodes: PSM: Print and SMear