[squeak-dev] Email with Squeak (was Re: Work on object explorer)

Rein, Patrick Patrick.Rein at hpi.de
Thu Apr 27 10:33:13 UTC 2017

Hi Tony,

the "dogfooding" is what I am heading for, too :)

So far, all approaches I found used POP and I wanted to stay with my IMAP workflow.
So my current setup is the following (not ideal probably):

1.) http://www.offlineimap.org/ to synchronize my complete mailboxes to a MailDir structure.
It can also synchronize changes to the MailDir structure back to the IMAP server
2.) Using CCMail (original: https://github.com/calmez/CCMail), I read in the MailDir structure
and go on from there. Currently, I am evolving the tool at https://github.com/codeZeilen/CCMail

The setup has the advantage that the huge amount of data is not affecting the image directly.
However, the synchronization outside of the image is cumbersome and the performance is not
very good yet. All of these things are on my list and I am working on them :)
I will keep you in the loop if you want to.

Alternatively, there is a student project implementing an IMAP client (https://github.com/HPI-SWA-Teaching/IMAPClient).
It currently can connect to servers and list emails. It still has some rough edges, but work will continue during the next few months.

Bests,
Patrick