[squeak-dev] raspberry question

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Apr 27 16:58:44 UTC 2017

Hi Denis;

> On 27-04-2017, at 6:17 AM, Denis Kudriashov <dionisiydk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you compare wiringPi library and your set of packages for GPIO? (there is ffi binding to wiringPi at smalltalkhub)

First question - how did you find a wiringpi package on smalltalkhub? I never seem to be able to find *anything* there, which frequently annoys me.

WiringPi (www.wiringpi.com) is a decent library to make it easier for Ardunio habitués to adapt. It provides a lot of good stuff and I used it for some time in the early days of the ScratchGPIO work. Where it falls down is Gordon’s insistence on rather aggressively exiting the process when errors occur. Eventually that got a bit annoying.

The library I moved over to, and that is used in the HardwarePeripherals package for Pi, is pigpio (http://abyz.co.uk/rpi/pigpio/). It is a fair bit more sophisticated and offers both locally bound and daemon versions of the core - I use the daemon because that avoids the all-too-common problem of ALSA screwing up interrupt handling. It also allows for the daemon to be running on a *different* Pi, giving remote control for free.
Pigpio has a lot of clever stuff that gets down to the gpio hardware better than wiringPi. Both are installed by default on Raspbian so it is no problem to choose either for any project you are considering.

tim
Nostalgia:  The good old days multiplied by a bad memory...