[squeak-dev] Squeak headless on a Raspberry Pi

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Aug 10 16:41:12 UTC 2017

> On 10-08-2017, at 9:05 AM, Louis LaBrunda <Lou at Keystone-Software.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I'm running squeak headless on a Raspberry Pi with -vm-display-null.  Normally there is no
> monitor connected.  Sometimes for testing I can connect a monitor.  How can/should I write some
> text to the monitor so I can see what is going on?  Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Other than doing magic to open a display window etc - which ought to be possible but I’ve never looked at it - the simplest thing is to use the stdio stream. As in

FileStream stdio nextPutAll: ‘Hello, World’; flush.

Your words of deathless prose should appear in whatever place stdout would appear, typically the terminal window from which you fired up Squeak. I have to admit I have no idea where that might be if you started Squeak from some login or startup script. Maybe it would require some added > mylogfile magic?

tim
It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than vice versa.