[squeak-dev] [Pharo-dev] Serializers/Encoders

henry henry at callistohouse.club
Mon Aug 14 22:27:03 UTC 2017

In further consideration, what seems missing from JSON encoding is an ANY type and a CHOICE type. With these and proper type encoding extension to JSON, we could pass arbitrary types w/o being required to specify a specific decoding structure. I think this is so. Types would be helpful. I found TJSON, which may be good, but no arbitrary types, still.

I notice JSON decoding is where magic happens and it requires full specification of what is expected. Perhaps there is a way for ANY & CHOICE with a CustomMapper. Contrarily, Fuel does all analysis on encoding, the front side, and encodes the found clusters on-stream so the materialized is lightweight. ASN1MODULES does a little of both with external types but also with ANY & CHOICE.

In looking at Fuel-Core, here are main classes..,

- HH