[squeak-dev] [Pharo-dev] Can we have subclasses of Process?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Aug 17 19:43:27 UTC 2017

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 9:28 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Denis,
> as others have pointed out one can subclass Process.  One can also add
> instance variables to Process.
> ​[...]
>
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 5:03 AM, Denis Kudriashov <dionisiydk at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Generally I think about system processes which can be represented by
>> concrete subclasses. For example explicit UIProcess can be used to remove
>> many #isUIProcess conditions from system.

I don't think that's a good use case​, since frequently there would be more
than one UIProcess instance and you still would have to check if the one
you're looking at is the currently active one. E.g. every time a debugger
pops up for the current UI process (e.g. after a user interrupt) the
current UI process is suspended, and a new one is spawned to run the
debugger.

- Bert -