[squeak-dev] Unable to open pull request via GitHub for squeak.org website repository

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 18:16:43 UTC 2017

On 23 August 2017 at 10:31, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> > On 23-08-2017, at 10:23 AM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
> >

> >> On 23.08.2017, at 19:21, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> I wanted to revise the Scratch related project section.
> >> I cloned the squeak.org repository, opened in githubdesktop, made a
> branch, edited the relevant md file, saved it, committed it, then tried to
> open a pull request. Authentication fails. Apparently I’m logged in ok.
> >
> > Just to rule out the obvious, you first pushed to your fork before you
> opened the PR, right?
>
> ‘obvious’ may not be obvious to a lot of us :-) But in this case, yes, I
> did because by sheer coincidence we had a small git-forlosers tutorial at
> our local makerspace last night so I even know some of the buzzwords!
>
> Attempting a ‘push’ also complains about authentication though, so maybe
> there is a problem with the system lying to me, or me misunderstanderating.
> The preferences/account tab says I’m signed in.

At the risk of also sounding a bit like Obvious Man, you're doing something
like "git push origin mybranch" in your shell while in your browser you're
logged in? Are you using HTTPS auth or SSH auth for your push? (You can
tell by looking at the URI printed out by "git remote -v".) 'Cos it sounds
a whole lot like git running in the shell doesn't know your auth details.

frank