[squeak-dev] Unable to open pull request via GitHub for squeak.org website repository

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Fri Aug 25 04:25:22 UTC 2017

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 2:59 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 23 August 2017 at 16:38, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>

>> > On 23-08-2017, at 11:16 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > At the risk of also sounding a bit like Obvious Man, you're doing
>> something like "git push origin mybranch" in your shell while in your
>> browser you're logged in? Are you using HTTPS auth or SSH auth for your
>> push? (You can tell by looking at the URI printed out by "git remote -v".)
>> 'Cos it sounds a whole lot like git running in the shell doesn't know your
>> auth details.
>>
>> I’m currently using GitHubDesktop on my iMac, because that’s what opened
>> up when I cloned the squeak.org repository. Your question reads to my
>> untutored eyes a bit like religious tracts - a sliding window across three
>> syllables seems to make sense but when you try to put it all together...
>> not so much.
>>

> My work is done! Pay me, and enter the Kingdom of Git!
>

>> I appear to be logged in when looking at github in Safari, and
>> GitHubDesktop preferences tells me likewise.
>>

> Right, that answers my question. I wondered whether you were doing
> something silly like looking at your browser, seeing that you were logged
> in _there_ and then from an entirely disconnected process (your shell)
> expected the shell to know about the browser's authenticated session. Hence
> "Obvious Man". I will have to bow out the conversation: I don't use
> GitHubDesktop. Tried it years ago, but it did nothing for me that git/gitk
> didn't give me from the CLI.
>

> Version control systems; I think someone forgot the initial ‘a’ in that
>> spelling.
>>

> I dunno. In my experience, it's the fancy version control tools
> (GitHubDesktop, Visual Studio's git integration) that seems ropy. Just
> using git on the command line, the only time I've had trouble is when I
> forgot to ssh-agent/pageant.exe my keys.

I recently started using GitHubDesktop and I find it obscures the git
paradigm.  I'd second using the command line because it helps you unlearn
the paradigms you have from other version control systems you've used.
Search for "tips moving from xxx to git" etc...    And my personal tip, to
help internalize the git paradigm avoid the convenience commands for a few
weeks...
* use "git fetch" followed by "git merge" separately instead of "git pull"
(and also try something like "git diff origin" before merging)
* use "git branch" followed by "git checkout" instead of "git checkout -b"

cheers -ben