[squeak-dev] [Vm-dev] Use less CPU (improve battery life or reduce cost in the cloud)

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Aug 30 05:56:09 UTC 2017

Hi Holger,

The Morphic main loop empties the event queue (mouse & keyboard) in each cycle. It also checks for drawing requests and stepping. If that processing goes too fast, it tries to free CPU time via a delay (so that the idle process can run if no other).

No, it does not make sense to get rid of that pause/delay/tick. ;-) The system is NOT event-based at that lower level. It is just polling/looping. A single UI process, which sleeps occasionally. By design.

Note that if you want to run that in the cloud, just avoid busy morphs and Morphic should use very little CPU resources.

Best,
Marcel