[squeak-dev] Emergency Projects (was: The Inbox: Morphic-dtl.1376.mcz)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Dec 14 13:49:14 UTC 2017

Hi Marcel,

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 10:18:33AM +0100, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> Hi Davis,
>
> I finally looked at your changes. :) So far, they are reasonable. However, the mere wish for not just entering parent projects for recovery but any other introduces a complexity that I am not really happy with. The class var EmergencyRecoveryRequested requires you to:
>
> - take care of the code for set/clear??EmergencyRecoveryRequested??across multiple methods

Did I make a mistake (again!?!) in these updates? There should be only two
references to EmergencyRecoveryRequested in the image. These are:

  Project>>enterForEmergencyRecovery
  Project>>finalExitActions:

> - makes the super call in #finalExitActions: mandatory, which is dangerous in my opinion and easy to miss in new kinds of projects
>
> The whole reason for this change is that we think that programmers are not able to establish a safety net of different parent projects on their own. Yet, we should rather pre-configure parent projects for the next release so that nobody has to worry. Maybe the SqueakShell at its root project.
>
> So, overall, this is a -1 from me here. Sorry.??

OK, thanks for reviewing :-)

It was an interesting exercise to figure out how to make this work. I may
play with the idea some more in my own image.

> Here is another take on #tryOtherProjectForRecovery: ??What about creating a new project of a different kind? Or re-ordering existing projects as parents? Nevertheless, I think that we should just pre-configure parent projects.

This hard part is to find something that does not add additional complexity
to the emergency mechanism. I would be nervous about trying to create a new
project or reoorder the existing hierarchy, but if someone can find a way to
do it, that would be good.

I do like the idea of having a SqueakShell as the root project, so that might
be a good thing to try. For myself, I am more comfortable dropping into MVC in
case of an error, but that may be only because I am already familiar with the
debugger in MVC.  In the general case, dropping into a SqueakShell might be
better, I'm not sure.

Thanks,
Dave