[squeak-dev] An Alan Kay talk archive site

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Sat Dec 16 21:33:44 UTC 2017

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr.
<jecel at merlintec.com> wrote:
> Yoshiki,
>>
>> I've been making a simple web site of collection of Alan Kay talks
>> (and other materials in the future).
>>
>> http://tinlizzie.org/IA/index.php/Talks_by_Alan_Kay
>
> This is an extremely valuable contribution - thanks for doing that and
> for posting so much material to YouTube! I haven't updated my own list
> of talks since 2013:
>
> http://www.smalltalk.org.br/movies/
>
> Would it be ok if I add a link to your page at the top of mine?

Absolutely. And I should look through your list.

> Some people who I would like to point out these talks to don't have
> enough fluency in English to enjoy them. Subtitles in their language
> would be an interesting option. We did that for the "Squeakers" DVD
> where having the English transcript made it relatively easy for me to
> translate it into Portuguese, for example. Creating the transcript in
> the first place and setting the timing information is what takes up the
> most effort.

Ah... that is definitely right.  The wiki currently does not care
about the language issue, but Mediawiki is very big about it and I
should be able to re-instate the feature.

The way I get the machine generated versions of transcript was to run
the movie on YouTube, and run a JS function defined in the console
that periodically looked at the caption-window class and append its
textContent into the result.  It is polling-based whose frequency is 3
seconds.  Also Youtube does not put any punctuation nor capitalization
so it does not read as sentences.  it is an okay starting point but  I
needed to hand edit it afterwards.

--
-- Yoshiki