[squeak-dev] The Trunk: CollectionsTests-eem.287.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 15:56:01 UTC 2017

Hi Tim,

    I changed this test to make it pass; the error raised was because teststring was a string and so the SequenceableCollection fallback failed trying to copy characters into the ByteArray.  But I wonder whether your intent was to say that the SequenceableCollection fallback should work the same as the primitive which does allow copying of characters into a ByteArray.  If so I don't think the problem should be solved in SequenceableCollection's fallback.  Instead, the ByteArray primitive failure code (ByteArray>>#replaceFrom:to:with:startingAt: itself) is the place to implement coercion.

Arguably the primitive is at fault not checking for type compatibility but I get that it's convenient to have a genetic byte mover.  But we use the primitive in most of the integer arrays and so can arbitrarily store characters in them.  In which case the primitive failure code should look like

    ^super replaceFrom: startIndex to: stopIndex with: aCollection coercionMessage startingAt: repStart

where coercionMessage is asByteString asByteArray, asWideString etc as appropriate.  What do you think?