[squeak-dev] Packaging

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Feb 27 21:04:41 UTC 2017

Currently the all-in-one is packaged to look like an application on macOS, which is very clever but seems to make for many problems. Does it actually need to be like that?

Would it work if we simply made our all-in-one package be a directory with the image/changes/sources and subdirectories for each vm? Hmm, well there is a possible issue with 32/64 bit confusion - ok, so how about something like
/
   SqueakMac.app
   SqueakWindows.bat
   SqueakLinux.sh
   .. Ubuntu etc as required
  /data
       squeak.image
       squeak.changes
       squeak.sources
/vm
   /linux
   /windows

So you see scripts relating to your OS. They start up the appropriate stuff. They ought to be able to work out 64bitness.

We also really should work on the startup experience some more. Marcel added some nice beginnings for 5.1 but I have always strongly believed that the default image needs to be locked and set up such that pretty much the first (or even only!) thing you can do is save a new image to actually work on. Hooking up a file location chooser instead of a simple singe line text entry box would help quite a lot there.

tim
Logic:   The art of being wrong with confidence...