[squeak-dev] Unable to save project in Squeak 5.1

Benjamin L. Russell dekudekuplex at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 01:35:39 UTC 2017

Upon installing Squeak 5.1 (both 32-bit and 64-bit) on Windows 7.1, customizing the user interface, and attempting to save the project, I received a popup window entitled with the following error message:

> Error: subscript is out of bounds: 53

Closing the window with this title resulted in a list of the following error messages on the left side of the main Squeak window:

----- error messages follow immediately after this line -----
***System error handling failed***
MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>form
Project class>>tryEmergencyEvaluatorForRecovery:
Project class>>handlePrimitiveError:
MorphicProject(Object)>>primitiveError:
MorphicProject(Project)>>handleFatalDrawingError:
[] in WorldState>>displayWorldSafely:
BlockClosure>>cull:
[] in MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>signal
UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #form
[] in WorldState>>drawWorld:submorphs:invalidAreasOn:
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
WorldState>>drawWorld:submorphs:invalidAreasOn:
WorldState>>drawWorld:submorphs:
PasteUpMorph>>displayWorld
[] in WorldState>>displayWorldSafely:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
WorldState>>displayWorldSafely:
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
Type CR to enter an emergency evaluator.

Type any other character to restart.
----- error messages end immediately before this line -----

Attempting to close Squeak by clicking on the close button of the Squeak main window did nothing; I was forced to use Task Manager to quit the process.

A similar error message also occurred when I attempted to save the project in Squeak 4.6; however, I was able to save the project normally in Squeak 3.9.

How can I tweak Squeak 5.1 to save the project normally?

-- Benjamin L. Russell