[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Multilingual-jr.218.mcz

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Sun Jan 22 19:18:00 UTC 2017

On 22.01.2017, at 16:10, Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jan 2017, Tobias Pape wrote:

>>> Yep. TextConverters are intended to work with MultiByte*Streams only.
>>
>> Didn't know that.
>>
>>> Therefore #basicNext is expected to return a Character, provided the stream is not binary. This is why the #isBinary check is the first thing the method does.
>>
>> I see. however, using asInteger sounds more reasonable _even though_ it is a character. Said bluntly, the responsibility of the TextConverter is to make Characters from that bloody numbers in that stream.
>> I was confused to see that asciiValue returns something >127 in the first place.
>
> #asInteger does the same thing as #asciiValue. While #asciiValue doesn't do what you would expect it to do, it has the advantage to clearly mark the class of the receiver (in this case).

Yes, and that's exactly why we should use #asInteger. To _not_ limit the receiver.
Because the receiver isn't actually a Character, but some number, encoded in a Character, whose meaning is to be determined by
this very method.

Also, how do we know that _basic_Next will always return a Character?
(Yes, I know there's a binary check, but doesn't that only say something about #next, not #basicNext?)

>>> If there are plans to make TextConverters work with more general streams, then I persume these changes won't be enough.
>>
>> Clearly.
>> But isn't this a step in the right direction?
>
> Yes and no. There are at least two ways to go:
>
> 1. Enhance the current stream library, even at the cost of breaking things.
> A patch here and there won't work. There are fundamental changes required, like stackable streams, to make it desirable to use it over other libraries.
>
> 2. Integrate an existing stream library with better features (e.g. Xtreams)
> If we were to do this, we could gradually migrate existing code to the new library, and finally make the current stream library unloadable.

I like the idea of Xtreams, but I also like going baby steps.

The changes here help at least one person, won't hurt others and seem future proof.
So?

Best regards
	-Tobias