[squeak-dev] Where do preference help strings come from?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jun 17 23:26:14 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 08, 2017 at 07:30:40PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 7:08 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> >     I'm looking at the help string for the reverseWindowStagger preference
> >
> > 'reverseWindowStagger:
> > If true, a reverse-stagger strategy  is used for determining where newly
> > launched windows will be placed; if false, a direct- stagger strategy is
> > used.'
> >
> > I can't see this anywhere in code.  Where did this string come from in the
> > first place?
> >

> I'd guess in a changeset preamble?
>
> - Bert -???

Following Bert's tip, I looked at Andreas' update history in http://files.squeak.org/history/.
The help messages were initialized with Preferences class>>initializedHelpMessages,
which Andreas added in 1999 in the 839WindowDrag-ar.cs change set.

Preferences class methodsFor: 'initialization' stamp: 'ar 4/19/1999 14:40'
initializeHelpMessages
        "Preferences initializeHelpMessages"
        HelpDictionary _ Dictionary new.
        #(
	<snip>

The method was still present in Squeak 3.0 and disappeared some time thereafter.
I can't quite figure out how or why it went missing, but it probably should be
restored to the trunk.

Dave