[squeak-dev] OT: Re: The Trunk: Kernel-eem.1062.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 19:55:45 UTC 2017

Hi Tobias,

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 12:39 PM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> > On 09.03.2017, at 21:34, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:
> >
> > +     DelaySuspended := true!
> > -     DelaySuspended := true.!
>
> This is OT and I'm just curious, but why did you remove the period?

In Smalltalk period is a statement separator.  In C semicolon is a
statement terminator.  So in Smalltalk the period is unnecessary (and I
find irritating) at the end of a method, wheres in C the semicolon and the
end of a return statement, for example, is required.  I like to see code as
clean as possible.  If I see some extraneous thing I find it distracting.
Another irritation for me is whitespace at the end of a method, which I
think appears unnoticed due to bugs in some tools.  I even find myself
irritated by the whitespace that turns up at the end of a method signature
when there are keyword arguments (which arises from a natural way of
writing the keyword:/argument printing code).    Rather OCD of me, but
there it is.

> Best regards
>         -Tobias

best, Eliot