[squeak-dev] Object>>className

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Fri Mar 24 20:59:35 UTC 2017

> On 24.03.2017, at 19:36, Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2017, Tobias Pape wrote:
>

>>> On 24.03.2017, at 18:10, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> - doesn't provide much utility as it is effectively foo class name, and foo className saves one character.
>>
>> Law of Demeter.
>
> Blindly applying such ideas will result in a huge mess.
> In this case #className and #name cause more trouble than benefit.

I still fail to see that for #className.

> Object should shadow as few accessors as possible.

That's messy. How can we predict what superclass will shadow what in which subclass.
That's not gonna work. How should in 2000 anyone anticipate that someone years later will create Monticello and name an instance variable 'className'.

What about environment? executor? flash? presenter? scriptPerformer?
Do we have to anticipate that somewhen in some domain implementation these could be accessors down the hierarchy?

Best regards
	-Tobias