[squeak-dev] Crashes on snapshot with the new compactor

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 14:25:42 UTC 2017

Hi Ben,

> On Mar 25, 2017, at 7:41 PM, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 4:27 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>>    a number of people are being affected by crashes on snapshotting the
>> image, the worst possible time for a crash.  There is a bug in the new
>> compactor that unfortunately bites when saving.  The compactor is invoked as
>> part of a full garbage collect after the garbage collector has feed
>> unreachable objects.  Normally the new compactor makes only a single pass
>> through the heap, which may not move all the objects that are possible to
>> move.  (The amount of objects that can be moved in a single pass is limited
>> by available free space.)  But on snapshot the compactor makes as may passes
>> as are necessary to slide all movable objects down as far as possible.
>> Unfortunately there is a bug in this second pass.
>>
>> Fixing this bug is now my priority.  I have an example image from Esteban
>> Lorenzano to test.  I am asking anyone else that can provide an image that
>> reliably crashes when trying to save it to make the image and changes
>> available to me for testing if possible.
>>
>> In the mean time one may be able to work around the problem by doing a full
>> garbage collect before snapshot.  This should do a GC with a single
>> compaction pass which should not fail, and then make it much more likely
>> that the GC during snapshot will do a single compaction pass, since fewer
>> objects should be mobile after the single pass compaction in the explicit
>> GC.
>
> Rather than avoid the problem, in which case you'll get less samples,
> can we temporarily have the snapshot create a second file
> "my.image.beforeSnapshotGC".
> so when it crashes, we'll have a great sample for you.
>
> I'm sure we are all keen (and grateful) to get a reliable compactor.
> The pain is not so much that it crashes, but that the image is corrupted.
> If its possible/likely that "my.image.beforeSnapshotGC" might be renamed
> and successfully opened, I'm sure those of use following bleeding edge
> are capable and will to operate like that, to help bring a faster resolution.

This sounds like a good idea but the machinations involved in loading an image make it non-trivial. I'd much rather implement lemming debugging in the real vm.  In the simulator the vm is cloned on every GC and the GC is run in the clone, and repeated in the original if it succeeds.  In the real VM it would fork and execute the GC in the child, waiting for the exit status.

This approach allows a buggy GC to be repeated as many times as it takes to understand it.  And it could be altered to snapshot too, also to a different name if desired.

In any case let's hope the issue is moot :-).