[squeak-dev] TimeStamp - can we remove references to this class?

Chris Cunningham cunningham.cb at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 00:30:32 UTC 2017

Hi. First, the background.

I've been living in (and using daily) an image dating back to roughly 4.10
times, but updated to some point post-5.1 , and lately it has become very
clear that I have really done something nasty to the image.  When I save
and quit, errors pop up, but it saves successfully and restarts without
errors.
On the machine I saved it on.  I can't get the image to run on any other
system that I have access too, which is scary.

I think this is related to the fact that I use ODBC, which has its own
definition of TimeStamp.  This has collided significantly with the current
Squeak definition of TimeStamp, and I think this collision has caused my
these issues.

I'll be working on a new packaging of the ODBC client that doesn't
reference TimeStamp at all, but rather deals with DateAndTime.  But that's
just one package that used a 'TimeStamp' - I believe there are others out
there.  Which brings up my question here:

Can we remove TimeStamp from the back package?

Its representation is definitely not what any older package would expect of
TimeStamp.
TimeStamp appears to be a shim over DateAndTime for: TestRunner/SUnit,
SqueakMap, Monticello, and ChangeRecord.  These could learn to use the
DateAndTime, although that would require careful changes (very careful!).

Thanks,
cbc