[squeak-dev] The Trunk: KernelTests-eem.326.mcz

commits at source.squeak.org commits at source.squeak.org
Fri Mar 31 01:06:07 UTC 2017

Eliot Miranda uploaded a new version of KernelTests to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/KernelTests-eem.326.mcz

Name: KernelTests-eem.326
Author: eem
Time: 30 March 2017, 6:06:00.734042 pm
UUID: ec9113f8-c80a-4ce3-beac-2bf1da602763
Ancestors: KernelTests-eem.325

Replace mention of MethodContext with Context in class comments as appropriate.

=============== Diff against KernelTests-eem.325 ===============

Item was changed:
  TestCase subclass: #BlockClosureTest
  	instanceVariableNames: 'aBlockClosure homeOfABlockClosure'
  	classVariableNames: ''
  	poolDictionaries: ''
  	category: 'KernelTests-Methods'!

+ !BlockClosureTest commentStamp: 'eem 3/30/2017 17:45' prior: 0!
- !BlockClosureTest commentStamp: 'eem 3/23/2017 18:07' prior: 0!
  I am an SUnit Test of BlockClosure and some of Context's simulation machinery'.  See also MethodContextTest.

  My fixtures are:
  aBlockClosure			- just some trivial block, i.e., [100 at 100 corner: 200 at 200].
  homeOfABlockClosure	- the home context of the block

  NOTES ABOUT AUTOMATING USER INPUTS

  When executing non-interactive programs you will inevitably run into programs (like SqueakMap or Monticello installation packages -- and other programs, to be fair) that require user input during their execution and these sort of problems shoot the whole non-interactiveness of your enclosing program.

  BlockClosure helper methods have been made available and tests of these helpers are provided in this class to demonstrate that it can intercept PopUpMenu and FillInTheBlankMorph requests for user interaction.  Of course, PopUpMenu and FillInTheBlankMorph were modified to first signal a ProvideAnswerNotification and if someone handles that (e.g. the enclosing block) then the user interaction will be circumvented and the provided answer of the enclosing block will be used.  The basic syntax looks like:

  	[self confirm: 'Install spyware?'] valueSupplyingAnswer: #('Install spyware?' false)

  There a few variants on this theme making it easy to provide a literal list of answers for the block so that you can handle a bunch of questions in a block with appropriate answers.

  Additionally, it is possible to suppress Object>>inform: modal dialog boxes as these get in the way of automating anything.  After applying this changeset you should be able to tryout the following code snippets to see the variants on this theme that are available.

  Examples:

  So you don't need any introduction here -- this one works like usual.
  [self inform: 'hello'. #done] value.

  Now let's suppress all inform: messages.
  [self inform: 'hello'; inform: 'there'. #done] valueSuppressingAllMessages.

  Here we can just suppress a single inform: message.
  [self inform: 'hi'; inform: 'there'. #done] valueSuppressingMessages: #('there')

  Here you see how you can suppress a list of messages.
  [self inform: 'hi'; inform: 'there'; inform: 'bill'. #done] valueSuppressingMessages: #('hi' 'there')

  Enough about inform:, let's look at confirm:. As you see this one works as expected.
  [self confirm: 'You like Squeak?'] value

  Let's supply answers to one of the questions -- check out the return value.
  [{self confirm: 'You like Smalltalk?'. self confirm: 'You like Squeak?'}]
  	valueSupplyingAnswer: #('You like Smalltalk?' true)

  Here we supply answers using only substrings of the questions (for simplicity).
  [{self confirm: 'You like Squeak?'. self confirm: 'You like MVC?'}]
  	valueSupplyingAnswers: #( ('Squeak' true) ('MVC' false) )

  This time let's answer all questions exactly the same way.
  [{self confirm: 'You like Squeak?'. self confirm: 'You like Morphic?'}]
  	valueSupplyingAnswer: true

  And, of course, we can answer FillInTheBlank questions in the same manner.
  [FillInTheBlank request: 'What day is it?']
  	valueSupplyingAnswer: 'the first day of the rest of your life'

  We can also return whatever the initialAnswer of the FillInTheBlank was by using the #default answer.
  [FillInTheBlank request: 'What day is it?' initialAnswer: DateAndTime now dayOfWeekName]
  	valueSupplyingAnswer: #default

  Finally, you can also do regex matches on any of the question text (or inform text) (should you have VB-Regex enhancements in your image).
  [FillInTheBlank request: 'What day is it?']
  	valueSupplyingAnswers: { {'What day.*\?'. DateAndTime now dayOfWeekName} }

+ [Comment taken from BlockClosureTest last written by jrp 10/17/2004 12:22]!
- [Comment taken from BlockContextTest last written by jrp 10/17/2004 12:22]!

Item was changed:
  TestCase subclass: #MethodContextTest
  	instanceVariableNames: 'aCompiledMethod aReceiver aMethodContext aSender'
  	classVariableNames: ''
  	poolDictionaries: ''
  	category: 'KernelTests-Methods'!

+ !MethodContextTest commentStamp: 'eem 3/30/2017 17:42' prior: 0!
+ I am an SUnit Test of Context. See also BlockClosureTest.
+ See pages 430-437 of A. Goldberg and D. Robson's Smalltalk-80 The Language (aka the purple book), which deal with Contexts. My fixtures are from their example. To see how blocks are implemented in this version of Squeak see http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/2008/06/07/closures-part-i/ and http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/2008/07/22/closures-part-ii-the-bytecodes/.  (The Squeak V3 byte codes are not quite the same as Smalltalk-80, and the SistaV1 byetcodes are quite different.)
- !MethodContextTest commentStamp: 'tlk 5/31/2004 16:07' prior: 0!
- I am an SUnit Test of MethodContext and its super type, ContextPart. See also BlockContextTest.
- See pages 430-437 of A. Goldberg and D. Robson's  Smalltalk-80 The Language (aka the purple book), which deal with Contexts. My fixtures are from their example. (The Squeak byte codes are not quite the same as Smalltalk-80.)
  My fixtures are:
  aReceiver         - just some arbitrary object, "Rectangle origin: 100 at 100 corner: 200 at 200"
  aSender           - just some arbitrary object, thisContext
  aCompiledMethod - just some arbitrary method, "Rectangle rightCenter".
  aMethodContext   - just some arbitray context ...

  !