[squeak-dev] Broken trunk update and workaround

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 02:32:15 UTC 2017

Hi All,

    I'm very sorry to report that my recent changes (adding CompiledCode
and CompiledBlock to the CompiledMethod hierarchy in anticipation of full
blocks, and merging ContextPart and MethodContext and renaming them as
Context, to eliminate obsolete block and closer implementations) has broken
the update process.  I do not believe there is an easy fix as i think the
issues are to do with the citations that exist on the stack while the
update proceeds (the progress indicators).

There is a clumsy work-around that appears reliable.  The pauses between
loads get rid of the progress indication activations and hence avoid trying
to upgrade running processes through these kernel changes.

Open the trunk repository from your Monticello Browser.
Locate the update package (the penultimate entry in the list of packages).
Load (or merge) update-eem.400.mcm.
Load (or merge) update-eem.403.mcm.
Load (or merge) update-eem.406.mcm. Save your image.
Local the Kernel package.
Load Kernel-eem.1078. Save your image.
Update

I'm so sorry.