[squeak-dev] If Squeak is running headless and something is sent to Transcript, what happens?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed May 3 16:46:02 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 08:54:07AM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> > On May 3, 2017, at 7:53 AM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
> >

> >> On 03.05.2017, at 16:25, Louis LaBrunda <Lou at Keystone-Software.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> If Squeak is running headless and something is sent to Transcript, what happens?

It prints using invisible ink ;-)

> > Unless you have the CommandLineToolset set as default, nothing.

Or set the "Redirect transcript to stdout" preference, which redirects
the transcript to standard output. It works well in trunk now.

> IMO we should change this and have output go to stdout if headless, and hence include CommandLineToolset in the base image.  One can always unload it if it's not wanted.  But this is a better default.

I expect that just evaluating "TranscriptStream redirectToStdOut: true"
in the headless image is probably sufficient in this case (but no objection
to adding CommandLineToolset if it also has value).

Dave