[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-jr.948.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue May 16 21:21:44 UTC 2017

Hi Jakob,

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 10:09 AM, <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:

> A new version of System was added to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/System-jr.948.mcz

> Name: System-jr.948
> Author: jr
> Time: 5 May 2017, 12:08:58.857884 am
> UUID: 4a19b143-6a23-b549-ab15-0d548da859f4
> Ancestors: System-ul.947
>
> incorporate behaviors from other environments in allBehaviorsDo:
>
> This enables senders/implementors and method searches across environments.
>
> =============== Diff against System-ul.947 ===============
>
> Item was changed:
>   ----- Method: SystemNavigation>>allBehaviorsDo: (in category 'query')
> -----
>   allBehaviorsDo: aBlock
>         "Evaluate the argument, aBlock, for each kind of Behavior in the
> system
>         (that is, Object and its subclasses and Traits).
>         ar 7/15/1999: The code below will not enumerate any obsolete or
> anonymous
>         behaviors for which the following should be executed:
>
>                 Smalltalk allObjectsDo:[:obj| obj isBehavior
> ifTrue:[aBlock value: obj]].
>
>         but what follows is way faster than enumerating all objects."
>
> +       Environment allInstancesDo: [:environment |
> +               environment allClassesAndTraitsDo: [ :class |
> +                       aBlock value: class.
> +                       class isTrait ifFalse: [ "class of a Trait is
> Trait, there are no MetaTraits"
> +                               aBlock value: class class ] ] ]!
> -       self environment allClassesAndTraitsDo: [ :class |
> -               aBlock value: class.
> -               class isTrait ifFalse: [ "class of a Trait is Trait, there
> are no MetaTraits"
> -                       aBlock value: class class ] ]!

Forgive me for being blunt but Environment allInstancesDo: is absurd and
unacceptable.  Environments *must* build some kind of graph that can be
enumerated without recourse to a hammer like allInstancesDo:.  This simply
doesn't scale.  And it suffers the problem of enumerating environments that
are no longer in use but have yet to be garbage collected.  Please roll
back this change and take a better approach.

best, Eliot