[squeak-dev] Interpreter VM on Debian testing/unstable 64 bits?

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Wed May 24 18:14:24 UTC 2017

It's been a while since I ran the interpreter VM heavily so this may no
longer be the case but one thing I remember learning early on was *not* to
use the Debian VM package as it was almost always out of date and/or had
some sort of build problem.  Whatever the latest Linux binary from
squeak.org almost always worked for me unless I needed custom plugins etc.
and this was on every release starting with Debian 6 running in a variety
of unstable/testing/release 32/64-bit environments.  So building from
source usually wasn't necessary.

On May 23, 2017 12:48 PM, "tim Rowledge" <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> On 23-05-2017, at 5:08 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 12:27:42PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> Does anyone have access to a Debian testing/unstable system? Could you
>> check if Etoys really gets stuck, and maybe figure out why?
>>
>> I suspect it might be because they're running on x86_64. The VM is
>> 4.10.2-2614.
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> I don't have a Debian system, but you are probably right. I did a quick
> check of running an Etoys-To-Go-5.0 image on a 64-bit interpreter VM,
> compiled locally, version level 4.16.3-3748. It seems to run fine on my
> 64-bit Ubuntu. But the 4.10.2-2614 VM is really quite old now and probably
> does have some issues on a 64-bit system.
>
> Being Debian, I suspect that the VM needs to be compiled from source, is
> that right? Or would a pre-compiled VM be sufficient?

My experience suggests being *very* careful with the way Debian mangles our
code. Last time I had to dig into it there was an override of our jpeg
reading code that quite blatantly broke reading the files. Worse, it
appeared that no one there had even bothered to contact any of us to ask
why we needed that particular code.

tim
Debugger: A tool that substitutes afterthought for forethought.