[squeak-dev] Why would (Unix)FileDirectory class>>#checkName:fixErrors: mangle a correctly formatted file path/name?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Nov 23 07:13:13 UTC 2017

> On 22-11-2017, at 10:18 PM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Well you asked for a file "name" right? not a path. and "/" is typically illegal in Unix file names (or has to be quoted or so).

Hah, well maybe you’re right, though it wasn’t my code.

Generically our filename code is awful, as it has been since 1982 at least.

The problem arises because as I swap in my file chooser/saver dialogs  - which return full paths for the chosen filenames - I find places where the code is … interesting. #asFileName features fairly often here. Explicit assumptions about filenames extensions are quite common and often dubious.

Browse senders of UIManager>>#request:initialAnswer: for a combination of laughs and winces.

tim
I'm so skeptical that I'm not sure I'm really a skeptic