[squeak-dev] Unicode method returns "?"

John-Reed Maffeo jrmaffeo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 04:33:16 UTC 2017

Bert, Tim,
Thanks, I think I understand the problem now.
A. The default Squeak font does not contain a glyph for the value which was
used to create the character.
B. The question mark character is used as a placeholder for the missing
glyph.
C. There may be a solution using the UnicodePlugin (which is not available
on Mac per Tim's note on the VM list:
                  Apr 18, 2017; 1:07pmAdding build of ScratchPlugin &
UnicodePlugin
D. The NuScratch code is in the "Improved Scratch 1.4 as used on Raspberry
Pi" project at http://www.squeaksource.com/NuScratch.html. and may point in
the direction of an ultimate solution.

I think I will just hack an application specific solution for now. The
biggest reason that $? is a problem for me is because a random ?  in
OSProcess parameter strings causes the VM to lockup. (The string I am using
from the JSON data is embedded in a parameter in a command I execute using
OSProcess)

jrm