[squeak-dev] Squeak graphics colloquium

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 12:51:34 UTC 2017

On 9/28/17, Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:
> Hi, there.
>
> Here are some thoughts that might help in the next brainstorming(s):
>
> - The canvas abstraction (i.e. "draw line from to" instead of "put/copy
> pixels") has been part of Squeak/Morphic since 1999, which is almost the
> beginning.
> - That canvas abstraction should be extracted from Morphic and moved into
> Squeak's base system because it is not inherent to what Morphic accomplishes
> in terms of tangibility, direct manipulation, and interactivity for the
> Squeak environment.

I agree with this and it seems to be comparatively straightforward to do.

The discussion in the thread 'What is the task of NullEncoder?' has
shown is that the best thing is just to move NullEncoder with
subclasses NOT directly doing Postscript out of the  'Morphic-Support'
 category to a class category 'Graphics-Canvas'.

Should I go ahead and put this into the inbox?