[squeak-dev] How to submit something to the inbox (was: Graphical oddities across image save (squeak 5.1))

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Oct 7 18:02:22 UTC 2017

On Sat, Oct 07, 2017 at 11:12:10AM -0400, Bob Arning wrote:
> I never learned how. :-(

I am sure you are not the only one. I guess we should get some very simple
and clear instructions on the squeak.org page for How To Contribute to the
Inbox.

If you do not mind giving it a try, here is what you can do:

1) Create an account on source.squeak.org
  A) Using a web browser, go to http://source.squeak.org.
  B) On the left side of the web page, click on "Register Member".
  C) Fill in the information on the form. In the "Initials:" field, use your
     regular author initials, same as for method stamps.
  D) Click "Save".
  E) Remember the password that you just defined, because you will use it
     in step 2 below.

2) Open the inbox repository
  A) In your Squeak 5.1 image, open a Monticello Browser.
  B) On the right hand side of the browser, highlight the "http://source.squeak.org.trunk" repository.
  C) Do a right-click, select "edit repository info"
  D) In the edit dialog, change "trunk" to "inbox" in the location, put
     your author initials in the "user" field, and put your new password
     in the "password" field.
  E) Click "Accept"
  F) Verify that http://source.squeak.org/inbox now appears as a repository
     in the right hand pane of your Monticello browser.

3) Get ready to commit your changes to the inbox
  A) Make sure your image is updated (world -> help... -> update code from server)
  B) In the Monticello browser, highlight package "Morphic" on the left, and
     repository "http://source.squeak.org/trunk" on the right.
  C) Click the "Changes" button on the top.
  D) The "changes" here are the differences between your image and the most
     recent version in the trunk repository. Verify that these are the changes
     that you want to submit, no more and no less. If something looks wrong, stop
     and ask for tips on the squeak-dev list.

4) Submit your changes to the inbox
  A) Now highlight the "http://source.squeak.org/inbox" repository on the right
     pane of the Monticello browser, and package "Morphic" on the left.
  B) Click the "Save" button on the top of the Monticello browser.
  C) In the dialog that opens now, find the "empty log message" text. Replace
     it with your description of what you are changing. This would be the same
     kind of description that you would put into the preamble of a change set.
  D) Click "Accept"
  E) Wait for the changes to be sent to the inbox repository.

5) Follow ups
  A) Your new update should now appear in the inbox. In the Monticello browser,
     highlight the inbox repository and click the "Open" button at the top.
     A Repository Browser will open. Click the "Refresh" button, and you should
     see your new entry listed. You can also find in through the web interface
     for http://source.squeak.org.
  B) On the squeak-dev list, a mail notification should appear within a few minutes
     to notify the list about your new submission.
  C) You can reply to that notification on the list, or to your earlier mail thread
     to offer any other explanations or to ask someone to look at your inbox submission
     and move it to trunk (or to "treated inbox" if it is not suitable for trunk for
     some reason).

Dave