[squeak-dev] Squeak won't always quit

Louis LaBrunda Lou at Keystone-Software.com
Wed Oct 18 21:30:05 UTC 2017

Hi,

I am running Squeak/Seaside headless on a Raspberry Pi Zero/W.  Almost everything works great.
I want to be able to exit Squeak with a return code that I test in a shell script.  I was using
this:

	Smalltalk snapshot: false andQuitWithExitCode: 1.

to exit with a return code of 1.  This works some of the time but not always.  I can tell
because the script logs the return code and when the exit doesn't work, there is nothing in the
log.  It is still in Squeak/Seaside somewhere.

I took a look at #snapshot:andQuitWithExitCode: and #snapshot:andQuit:withExitCode:embedded:
that it calls and found some code that I don't need, like code to save the image.

I wrote:

quickShutdown: exitCode
	"Shutdown without saving anything and exit with the exit code."

	Object flushDependents.
	Object flushEvents.
	Smalltalk processShutDownList: true.
	self quitPrimitive: exitCode.

to simplify things but the problem persists.  That's not really a surprise as it should be all
that was getting done before.  Does anyone have any ideas where it could be getting hung up?
Maybe somewhere in Seaside?  Thanks for any ideas.

Lou
--
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.