[squeak-dev] Transfer of binary data between images

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Oct 21 17:15:40 UTC 2017

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 04:33:21PM +0000, Kjell Godo wrote:
> Is JSON the preferred way to transfer data between different
>      Smalltalk platforms?
>      like Dolphin S8 visualWorks GnuSmalltalk Smalltalk/X Amber etc?
> i would like a way for all the different things to talk to each other
>      why should they all be seperate?
>
> I am assuming JSON would be best for going between languages like
>      Smalltalk - Lisp
>      ( it is the easiest to get access to everything has a Package for it ).
>
> Are there any Packages that are designed to link different languages
> together?
>      like Smalltalk - Racket - CommonLisp - SWIProlog etc?
>      i am assuming that sockets + JSON are the easiest quickest way
>      or DCom or what was that Linux d-Bus is d-Bus also on Windows?easy?
>      is COM also on Linux?does anyone use it?hard to use?
>           Dolphin and VisialWork do COM
>      is anyone doing this sort of thing?who would just know?

There is a SOAP implementation by Masashi Umezawa:

  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1399

You can find it in the SqueakMap package loader (SoapCore, SoapCoreClient,
SoapCoreServer, SoapOpera).

I believe that the home page is here:

  http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~umejava/smalltalk/soapOpera/soapCore.html

I do not know if it still works in current Squeak, or if the package is
still being maintained. But I know that it used to work, so it might be
worth a look.

Dave