[squeak-dev] [Vm-dev] Use less CPU (improve battery life or reduce cost in the cloud)

Michael Rueger lists at andience.co.nz
Mon Sep 4 07:33:31 UTC 2017

On 31/08/17 3:36 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> I think nowadays we could actually switch to a fully event/timer driven main loop for Morphic without major drawbacks.
> This was not true when Morphic was designed, since the VM back then was not event-based.
>
> Instead of a fixed interCyclePause we simply need to wait on a semaphore that should get signaled when a new event is
> available, and timed-out when the next Morphic alarm / step message is due. It probably also needs to be triggered when
> a deferred UI message is added.

about ten years ago I did some work for ESUG, where I changed the InputSensor to be fully event driven, but then added a
polling process that faked an event driven VM. I was supposed to do the VM side as well, but gave up after staring at it
for a while...
If I only remembered where I put that code...

Hmm, just looked at Pharo, looks somewhat similar to what I did, too long ago, don't remember the details...

Michael