[squeak-dev] Smalltalk Archeology

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Sep 20 06:14:41 UTC 2017

The snapshot from 03/24/07 works:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070324070352/http://bitquabit.com:80/rev/old/download/methods11.zip [http://web.archive.org/web/20070324070352/http://bitquabit.com:80/rev/old/download/methods11.zip]
http://web.archive.org/web/20070320232853/http://bitquabit.com:80/rev/old/download/stv3-dos-installed.zip [http://web.archive.org/web/20070320232853/http://bitquabit.com:80/rev/old/download/stv3-dos-installed.zip]

http://web.archive.org/web/20070320232853/http://bitquabit.com:80/rev/old/download/ReadMe.html [http://web.archive.org/web/20070320232853/http://bitquabit.com:80/rev/old/download/ReadMe.html]

Best,
Marcel
Am 19.09.2017 20:32:03 schrieb Jecel Assumpcao Jr. <jecel at merlintec.com>:
Martin Dahl wrote on: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 18:26:41 +0200

> out of interest in Smalltalk and embedded systems, I am
> looking for the only text mode smalltalk I know of, Digitalk
> methods.

GNU Smalltalk and Little Smalltalk are also text only. There there was a
version of Squeak for MS-DOS without graphics, but it was not as usable
as these two.

http://smalltalk.gnu.org/

For Little Smalltalk there are four rather different versions. Version 1
is what is described in the book:

> http://sdmeta.gforge.inria.fr/FreeBooks/LittleSmalltalk/ALittleSmalltalk.pdf

Version 3 is very similar to Smalltalk-76 (all classes are instances of
Class) while version 4 is like Smalltalk-80 (with metaclasses). Each of
these versions have had interesting forks over the years trying to
remove some of the limitations.

https://github.com/crcx/littlesmalltalk

https://github.com/pgregory/tumbleweed

> The best my google fu has come up with is a reference to the
> old forum (dating back to 2007): http://forum.world.st/Check-out-the-Smalltalk-Archeology-page-Smalltalk-80-and-more-td61347.html
> Sadly, wayback has noch archived the binaries.
> I was wondering whether someone from this list might still have
> a copy of methods, or maybe somebody knows whether there
> is some similar page still online?

I should have a copy, though I have no idea if the floppy disks are
readable after all these years. I will take a look. But I would think
any current project would have better results with the open source
alternative I mentioned above than with a binary solution like Methods.

Note that Methods is not really text only. It has a traditional
Smalltalk GUI which happens to use the CGA text mode. And that is
something that might not make sense in an embedded system.

-- Jecel