[squeak-dev] VersionNumber disallows zeros.

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Fri Sep 22 09:38:41 UTC 2017

Hi

> On 22.09.2017, at 02:56, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 01:53:45PM -0400, Ian Trudel wrote:
>> VersionNumber was particular from the ground up. It was not documented
>> until I wrote VersionNumberTest back in 2009.
>>
>> The fact that it was not supporting 0 was odd but the tests were written to
>> conform to what was already there.
>>
>> The idea was if someone wants to change VersionNumber, they could change
>> VersionNumberTest first and ensure an easy transition while retaining (some
>> or full) compatibility.
>

> Ian,
>
> Thank you for this. Writing VersionNumberTest was exactly the right thing
> to do in this case, and the current discussion shows why it was important
> for you to do it.
>
> I was just about to respond to this thread with something along the lines
> of "change it any way you want, but please be sure to document it with
> unit tests".
>
> And of course you also provided a meaningful class comment in VersionNumberTest
> that provides some background for this discossion, so thanks also for that.

There's actually a pretty good (semantic) Version number implementation
in Metacello (done by Dale in 2012):

https://github.com/Metacello/metacello/tree/master/repository/Metacello-Core.package/MetacelloSemanticVersionNumber.class

and another based on Mozilla recommendations:

https://github.com/Metacello/metacello/tree/master/repository/Metacello-Core.package/MetacelloVersionNumber.class

They both have tests

Best regards
	-Tobias