[squeak-dev] VMs, platforms and 32 vs 64bit

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 07:23:37 UTC 2018

On Wednesday 11 April 2018 03:45 AM, Benoit St-Jean via Squeak-dev wrote:
> I was wondering if images for different platforms (Mac, Linux, Windows)
> and VMs (32bit, 64bit) are, code-wise, the same?  By "the same", I mean
> do they all have the exact same code base or some classes/methods are in
> some and not in others or different?

Short answer - Images yes, VMs no.

"Squeak" without qualification refers to the image. The official release
contains separate VMs for different platforms but only a single image.

Squeak VM is different for each platform, but they do share the source
code for bytecode interpreter, primitives and object manager and some
(algorithmic) plugins. The launcher and device-based plugins (e.g.
display) are host-specific.

Generally, you should be able to save your image on Windows and resume
it on a Linux or Mac without any issues. There may be minor irritants
like differently configured CTRL/ALT/CMD keys or fonts but the overall
experience is stunningly smooth.

HTH .. Subbu