[squeak-dev] VMs, platforms and 32 vs 64bit

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Apr 11 18:24:29 UTC 2018

> On 11-04-2018, at 5:46 AM, Louis LaBrunda <Lou at Keystone-Software.com> wrote:
>
> Hi BenoƮt,
>
> +1

Indeed - image files are identical across platforms and pretty much always have been. The only general issue when moving an image from one to another is if the writer has used implicit assumptions about a platform - the commonest I see is assuming the format of file names and carelessly using string concatenations and '/'' & '.' to assemble strings instead of proper file name objects.

> I do some development on windows and copy the image to a Raspberry Pi running Linux.  I can't
> test everything as my windows box doesn't have the GPIO pins of the Raspberry but that is to be
> expected.

Actually...
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/gpio-expander/

I'm fairly sure that you could also build the pigpio library to run on a pc/mac and talk to pretty much any actual Pi also running the pigpiod daemon.

tim
All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.