[squeak-dev] Squeak REPL (was Re: Windows, stdin, stdout)

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 03:02:44 UTC 2018

Hi Eliot,

I went back to Benoit's words to look for what may have caused
negative feelings to emerge.  My guess is it must be the last two
sentences.  From what I know of you, you're in my "friend" psyche, and
I read your words in that context.  Try to read Benoit's expression of
doubt as merely an invitation for someone to please provide some
enlightenment.  He did say it was "cool," to which I agree, and no one
wants to shoot down cool.  I want to learn.  Please allow me to
inquire the circumstances about when a Smalltalk REPL would be useful,
and be _necessarily critical_ of that usefulness, without taking it
personally but by further enlightenment; which, you did.  :)

I'm sincerely intrigued by Smalltalk REPL's, but still skeptical that
*I* would have the patience to use them given all the other tools at
my disposal; VNC, error-handling, logging, intercepting kill signals,
etc.  That does not mean it is not useful for others or in other
contexts, though.

 - Chris