[squeak-dev] Question about Screen Resolutions

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Apr 26 11:02:22 UTC 2018

Yes, it's possible that the VM scales the display. For example, SqueakJS
has a "fixed resolution" mode where it gives Squeak a fixed-sized screen to
draw in, and scales that to whatever size the browser window is. Inversely,
it scales system mouse events to Squeak's virtual resolution. See for
example here:
       https://squeak.js.org/etoys/#fullscreen
When you resize the browser window, the image does not even notice.

AFAIK no other VM does that, but it would certainly be possible to add.

We did need that feature for displaying the OLPC version of Etoys (which
runs at a fixed 1200x900 resolution) on other platforms. To avoid having to
add this to all VMs (Windows, Mac, X11), Andreas set up the "internal
scaling" you mention which uses WarpBlt. But indeed there is a noticeable
slow-down, and having this feature in the VM would be much better.

- Bert -